2013 NHL Entry Draft: What Flyers Fans Need to Know
Sunday, 06.30.2013 / 7:00 AM ET / News
|ALL-TIME FLYERS DRAFT PICKS||FOLLOW THE FLYERS ON TWITTER
2013 FLYERS DRAFT BOARD
|ROUND||Pick||Position / PLAYER||NOTES|
|1||11||Morin, Samuel (d)||Rimouski, QMJHL|
|2||41||Hagg, Robert (D)||MOdo, swe|
|3||72||Goulbourne, Tyrell (LW)||Kelowna, WHL|
|5||132||AMOROSA, TERRANCE (D)||HOLDERNESS, HS - N.H.|
|6||162||MADSEN, MERRICK (G)||PROCTOR, HS - N.H.|
|7||192||DRAKE, DAVID (D)||DES MOINES, USHL|
ORDER OF SELECTION
- FEATURE: Men behind the Flyers Draft
- MOCK DRAFTS: Part 1: Kimelman I Part 2: Morreale I Part 3: Hoffner I Part 4: SanFilippo
- FLYERS TOP 5: 1st round draft picks I 2nd round draft pick I Late round draft picks
- FEATURE: Defending the Flyers Philosophy
- BUY-OUTS: Ilya Bryzgalov I Danny Briere
SUNDAY, JUNE 30
The 2013 NHL Draft is in the books and the Flyers selected four defensemen, one goaltender and a left wing with their six picks. Below is a quick look at each...
ROUND 1 - 11th: (D) SAMUEL MORIN, 6-6, 202-lb, Rimouski, QMJHL
ROUND 2 - 41st (D) ROBERT HAGG, 6-2, 193-lb, MODO JR., SWE
ROUND 3 - 72nd (LW) TYRELL GOULBOURNE, 5-11, 195-lb, Kelowna, WHL
ROUND 5 - 132nd (D) TERRANCE AMOROSA, 6-1, 185-lb, Holderness High School
ROUND 6 - 162nd (G) MERRICK MADSEN, 6-4, 194-lb, Proctor High School
ROUND 7 - 192nd (D) David Drake, 6-3, 153-lb, Des Moines, USHL
For the first time in his career, Chris Pronger joined the draft table. He gave an interview with TSN which you can watch below...
Paul Homgren on tonight's draft picks.
|The 2014 NHL Entry Draft will be hosted by the Flyers on June 27-28 at the Wells Fargo Center.|
While the focus is on the next few hours of THIS year's draft, Flyers fans have something else to be excited for - extremely excited.
The 2014 NHL Entry Draft will come to Philadelphia for the first time in history!
The date has been set and the best and brightest stars of the future will begin their careers in the city of brotherly love on June 27 and 28th.
The draft will once again go back to the two-day format with the first round being a Friday night special and rounds 2 though 7 concluding the next day.
For the NHL's official press release, click here.
The Flyers select 6-2, 193-pound defenseman Robert Hagg of Uppsala, Sweden with the second round, 41st overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Anthony SanFilippo has more on the Flyers second round draft pick on FlyersInsideOut.com.
Flyers' first round draft pick (11th overall) met with the Philly media following his selection. Here's his interview:
With the 11th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Flyers selected 6-6, 203-pound (D) Samuel Morin.
WATCH MORIN GET DRAFTED HERE...
|Samuel Morin, the Flyers first round Draft pick, 11th overall.|
• He competed for Team Canada at the 2013 Under-18 World Championship, finishing with two points (0-2--2) and a plus-six rating in seven games to help Canada win the gold. Morin also suited up for Team Quebec at the 2012 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge.
• In 2011-12, Morin was named to the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s All-Rookie Team after posting eight assists and 57 penalty minutes in 62 games..
• Morin had the highest peak power output on the Wingate bike test at the 2013 NHL Combine, registering 15.8 watts per kilogram of body weight.
According to NHL Director of Central Scouting, Dan Marr:
“When you get a guy that’s that big, that rangy, can make the first pass out of the zone and has a good stick to defend and he’s got a little bit of a physical element ... that’s a pretty nice package.”
About an hour and a half until the first round gets underway and teams are starting to arrive at the Prudential Center.
Here are a few photos of what's going on...
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and the scouts gather around their table on the floor.
A look from above at the draft board and the floor of NHL teams...
Here's where the Flyers' picks in this year's draft will meet the media for the first time...
SATURDAY, JUNE 29
* The Flyers currently hold six (6) picks in this year's draft, the earliest being an 11th overall pick in the 1st round.
* In each of the last two years, the Flyers 1st Round Draft pick cracked the opening day line-up. In 2011, Sean Couturier appeared in 77 regular season games and all 11 Stanley Cup Playoff games, while the club's 2012 pick, Scott Laughton appeared in the first five games with the Flyers before returning to his junior team.
Flyers' 1st round draft picks since the year 2000 have been:
2012 - Scott Laughton (F- 20th)
2011 - Sean Couturier (F-8th)
2010 - NONE
2009 - NONE
2008 - Luca Sbisa (D-19th)
2007 - James van Riemsdyk (F-2nd)
2006 - Claude Giroux (F-22nd)
2005 - Steve Downie (F-29th)
2004 - NONE
2003 - Jeff Carter (F-11th) & Mike Richards (F-24th)
2002 - Joni Pitkanen (D-4th)
2001 - Jeff Woywitka (D-27th)
2000 - Justin Williams (F-28th)