• In his second year with the Petes, Kassian finished second in scoring with 63 points (36-33-69) in 61 games, including 13 power-play goals. Known for his physical play, he also finished in the top 20 in the Ontario Hockey League with 136 penalty minutes.
• Highlights of 2008-09 season included two points (1-1-2) in the OHL All-Star Classic, representing the OHL in the Canada/Russia Challenge, and being selected to the 2009 CHL Top Prospects game.
• Kassian represented Team Canada, winning a gold-medal at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka Memorial and finishing fourth at the 2009 Under-18 World Championships.
• He first began playing hockey with the Kingsville Kings when he was eight and he credits his brother for having the biggest influence on his career – “he’s always there for me and tells me what I need to hear”.
• If he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose Todd Bertuzzi, Tiger Woods and Cam Neely “because they all have something about themselves which makes them unique”.
• His most embarrassing hockey moment was playing with two sticks at the same time on the penalty kill and his childhood hockey hero was Bobby Orr.
PETERBOROUGH’S KASSIAN DRAWS STRENGTH FROM FAMILY
KASSIAN ANSWERS HIS COUNTRY’S CALL
Toronto Maple Leafs
Shot (glove side high)
Pump up song:
“Thunderstruck” by ACDC
Activity away from the rink:
Steak and eggs